Jewellery Designer

My photo
Burleigh Heads, Gold Coast, Australia
Jewellery Designer / Master Jeweller. Designing Diamond Jewellery is one of my many passions in life. As an Award Winning Master Jeweller & founder of the Harrison Jewellery Company, I invite you to join me. As I feel inspired, I shall share with you my words, design concepts and diamond creations.

Sunday 29 April 2012

Line & Balance

Like many industries worldwide today, jewellery design and manufacture is going through fundamental change. For the contemporary artisan, time honored hand skills are being replaced by technology and mass production. Like the surfer watching a big wave building in the distance, classically trained jewellers like myself view this shift in skill and attitude, while slightly terrifying, as also an opportunity for the ride of our lives.


So then, what makes for a good classically conceived and manufactured jewellery design?

What propels a random concept of thought, within the mind of the designer, to become a reality of beauty and individual expression fashioned of Gold and Gem?

Good jewellery design in all its infinite forms must have at its most basic foundation, two key elements...... "Line and Balance". Without this, your precious investment will always and only be, a structure to hold shiny expensive things and not an amazing form of beauty that represents your individual style.

My journey as a classically trained jeweller began a year before I left school in 1973. Since then I've worked some 110,000 hours on the jewellery bench perfecting my skills. As I look back on my career, I realize the journey from jewellery maker to jewellery designer manifested itself, strangely, separately and yet one could not exist or be nurtured without the other.


1 comment:

Selina M Kidd said...

John, Fantastic!... I look forward to your next blog ....